Thursday, May 26, 2011

Lessons learned

So i recently got a new phone and one of the things i wanted to be able to use it for was to look up birds and their songs. So this evening I was in the yard trying to entice the Orioles to visit the hummingbird feeds (a female Oriole has been seen quite often at the feeder farther out in the yard.) So when I realized they were not going to be persuaded I started playing other bird calls.

I decided to play the call of a House Wren because the House Wren I would like to consider it a friend of mine. Even though he has chosen to nest in a different bird house this year in the past he was more than glad to help with pest control on my vegetables. Well I have learned they dont particularly enjoy hearing the call of another House Wren and not being able to locate it. The poor bird was frantically looking all over the place for where the call was originating. I decided to take video of it calling back and I sure did get a nice surprise. The bird was perched on a small branch right above me and then defecated nearly hitting my camera but instead hit my hand (thank goodness). This is only the second time I have been pooped on by a bird. Funny thing is that it happened in the same exact location last year (I dont remember the culprit).  So enjoy my close call.


Not sure but possibly a Brown Thrasher


Common Yellowthroat
I have been trying to get pictures of this bird for weeks. I decided to play its call and it brought it right to me. Still wouldnt sit still for very long for me to get some better photos but I am happy I at least got a few.




I do feel kind of bad confusing the birds by playing calls from my phone. Its interesting that not all the birds are attracted or interested. I assume it would have to do with how close by to a nest I am.

Great Blue Heron

I got out into the garden today and planted some stuff.

I put the trellis netting up and planted cucumbers.

I also planted Acorn Squash

I put in some more cucumbers. So everyone be warned I will probably have too many cucumbers and will be giving them away.


And I put in a row of dill seed behind the cucumbers right in front of the area I sit to watch the marsh.



Some Milkweed popping up in the trellis bed. I try not to pull milkweed or Spotted Touch Me Nots. I dont consider them weeds and am more than happy for them to grow where they wish.


The only vegetable bed I havent gotten around to cleaning up. There is lettuce everywhere and weeds. I did plant a lone Eggplant. I need to go buy it some friends. I will hopefully have it cleaned out and planted with beets and parsnips by saturday.

Potatoes are popping through. The tomatoes are still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment