Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Good Day: Part I: Baby Geese and Garlic Mustard

Today was a good day. No work, all play and its warm out. I dont think i could ask for anything more. I took a lot of pictures today.So im breaking the post up into multiple posts.
And well because its that time of the year, i have a bunch of baby animal pictures. 

Here is a picture of one of the Rhubarb plants in the yard. I cant wait till its ready to be cut and i can have some yummy rhubarb sauce.  On the right of the Rhubarb is one of our Blackberry patches; another edible I cannot wait to be ready as well.


This is a picture of a Coopers Hawk. They are small and very fast hawks that catch other birds on the wing. Today I was out in the yard and saw a Coopers Hawk fly out of nowhere and grab a Red Winged Black Bird down by the marsh and fly off. I wasent quick enough to grab a picture as it happened way too fast. I couldnt find where he perched to eat his kill but it was still pretty neat to see.

 I am unsure what kind of duck this is exactly. But here is a mother duck with some ducklings out in the marsh.

Here is one of the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds at the feeder.

 This is Columbine. It is a native wildflower to Minnesota. We have 4-6 Columbine plants in the yard (that we planted) and only 2 are flowering. But it is better than none.

 Hairy Woodpecker in flight

 Pair of Hairy Woodpeckers in one of the Plum trees.

My first picture of the Canadian Goslings.
 One of the two nesting pairs of Canadian Geese with some of their goslings.

 Today I also took the inititive to remove all the Garlic Mustard from this one area down by the marsh. Garlic Mustard is a highly invasive non-native plant. It spreads impossibly easy and is just not a good thing to let run wild.
This is what it looks like up close.


This is the before picture of the area.


And this is what it looked like when I was done filling up two 40gl black trash bags.



Here is a bunch of Canadian geese and baby geese pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment