Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May photos


Its finally May. Currently the temp is around 77F which is awesome.
Here's some photos

Not quite sure what this is. It looks like its some kind of Campion but I couldnt find anything in my wildflower book that looks just like this and blooms at this time of the year. I couldnt find any other plants near by that looked like it either, its just a lone soul in the "woods" where all the Columbine are.

Here are some pictures of the Columbine in the area I had mentioned before.


EDIT: Found a photo on another blog (http://naomi-the-naturenerd.blogspot.com/) and apparently this is Starry false Solomon's seal. This is a native Minnesota plant.



EDIT: This is Garlic Mustard, a highly invasive noxious weed. Once I found that out i headed down to where it was and dug out what was blooming. Ill be keeping an eye out for it all summer and digging up any I find.



Some kind of mushrooms
Some random bugs I saw today.

I like the yellow pollon on its legs. I dont think its a bee though, there are alot of them digging in the dirt in the benches.
Weird ant like thing that was on my leg. I grabbed a photo before i flicked it off.

Here's a Blue Bird


Pretty sky, minus the power lines obscuring the view slightly

2 comments:

  1. You may be finding garlic mustard for a couple of seasons until you get it eradicated. Remember if you pull it while it is flowering or started going to seed, it will still make seed as the plant wilts and dies! I always pull off/cut off the flowers or imature seedpods so that can't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whenever i find an invasive i put it in the fire pit so it and any seeds it may produce will be burned up. unfortunatly it didnt work as well as i hoped with the thistle, there is a 1st yr thislte plant right on the outside of the pire pit ring. it wont last thru next summer though haha

    ReplyDelete