Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bald Eagle ... butt

I stepped outside about an hour ago and noticed the squirrels making a lot of noises as well as the birds, so I began looking in the trees for the predator in question.
And it was a Bald Eagle! I was glad I had grabbed the camera but I only got a picture of its posterior.

It flew off across the marsh.
So after a short walk in the rain i decided to check out the ground beneath where it was perched in the yard. And guess what i found?

Eagle scat.
And bits of whatever it had caught an eaten. 



Also I received an email back from the webmaster of minnesotawildflowers.info I had asked if they could identify the mystery plant. They think it could be Red Elderberry. I searched the Internet for pictures of Red Elderberry and found a few that did look kind of similar but not exactly. I cant wait for this plant to go to flower then maybe its secret identity will be given away.

I have decided there is no possible way it is Angelica, as Angelica is part of the carrot family. This plant exhibits no characteristics of a carrot. I dug one up, for study, and it lacks any sort of true root system. Just a tuber that broke off (ill be surprised how long this thing will last. )
Its not Carrion Flower (Smilax Herbecea) because its not a vine and well doesn't smell of rotting flesh...yet.

It will be a neat surprise if it is Red Elderberry. But unfortunately that would make it a non-native plant.

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you saw he whole bird even if you just got a shot of its posterior...I saw my first bald eagle this summer--at least I think I did. All I saw was if flying away...just the wingspan and the white tail feathers.

    It is so great that they are still around and coming back to PA.

    ReplyDelete