Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Wild Turkeys in Shoreview


This picture was taken at the 4300 block of Highland Drive.


Well as I posted last night, the city is going ahead with the plan to net and kill up to 75 wild turkeys. I am disappointed at the lack of information on how the nets work and where they are being set up. I assume they will focus on the area of Highland Woods on Highland drive and Brigadoon Dr. but I cant be certain about this.


Today I went for a walk around the area and I did see turkeys. Id say I saw maybe 20 or so birds in a 1/2 mile area. I saw 4 at the location of Highland Dr. at the entrance to the Highland Woods. The majority of the birds I saw were in the Victoria Orchard. The apple orchards property is right next to Highland Drive and Brigadoon Drive. The orchard provides food and light cover for the birds, thats obviously why they are focused on that area. Also Highland drive provides a quiet street for the birds to move from the orchard to areas of dense woods and access towards the lake. So yeah the birds are going to be very common at that exact spot.



I think 75 is a extremely high number for what they wish to remove. I understand that since they only have until April 1st to net the birds its unlikely they will get 75 birds. But I also think that the number of birds has never exceeded 50 and if somehow Canada Goose Management, Inc is very successful in capturing birds they could in fact remove all of them.

I am ashamed that the city went forward so quickly with this plan without more thought about why the birds are where they are.


I was hoping to catch sight of the nets/bait that Canada Goose Management, Inc has set up but I have no idea what I am to look for and also I didn't want to go tromping through peoples private property.

Here is a link to the rundown of the meeting.
http://shoreviewpost.com/2010/03/shoreview-city-council-votes-to-remove-wild-turkeys/


Anyway on my walk I saw a group of deer, probably around 7 of them total. Only got a picture of one since it was a pretty woody area.






And i also saw a nice looking red bellied woodpecker at the end of Reiland right next to the Certified Wildlife Habitat.



Oh and i love how there is a sign at the open space site that states "no motorized vehicles" and yet the trail is obviously used by snow mobiles.


No comments:

Post a Comment