Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patties Day

Well its St. Patrick's Day and normally I would be a lot more excited for this holiday but unfortunately I have been sick since Saturday. So please understand if there are more spelling errors than normal my brain isn't working.

In other news, the backyard is 100% snow free. hooray

Here's some pictures I took.
This is a picture of a male Pileated Woodpecker taken either friday or saturday

And here is the female Pileated Woodpecker taken the same day at the same time.

Im not sure where they are nesting but im certainly going to keep a look out for some pileated babies.

The chipmunks have crawled out of their hole/home under the front of our house. I gave them some peanuts.



Yesterday (the 16th) the birds of prey were very active. Around 11 am i had stepped outside to get some fresh air and to look around the garden to get an idea what i need to get going on when I saw one of the bald eagles fly very low over my house. It was awesome to see but I didnt have my camera.
Then later in the afternoon I saw this hawk roosting in a tree. Not sure if it is a Red-tailed hawk or a red-shoulder hawk or something else.




Then I saw this hawk flying around the same area and being chased off by crows. Its much lighter than the other hawk, and I'm assuming its a broad-winged hawk, but i have no idea. Its probably the same hawk.


Im finding it damn near impossible to correctly identify the hawks.


And today I saw a Red-tailed hawk, which I can confirm only because I saw its red-tail. but I didnt get a picture.


Today I cleaned out the wren house. Here is a picture of what i found inside. Im confused by the presence of an egg. I haven't seen any wrens so Im sure it isn't an egg that was recently laid, at least I hope not.


Here are some pictures of the back of the garden. I am going to go to town on this area. Back when i was a kid we used this portion to grow squash and pumpkins and stuff that needed alot of sun and space. Now that the city ripped out a bunch of trees and made it a full sun portion of the yard again I am going to make use of it once again. Im going to fix the fencing and rake up all the hay and tear up all the black plastic and bricks that have been forgotten underneath it all.


Im not sure if I want to put in raised beds or try to terrace it a bit to keep down on the run off. Im going to try my best to keep a photo journal of my work.

And this shows the mess the City of Shoreview left last fall when it "trimmed" back trees that were in the way of the power lines.


I especially love the random piles of chopped wood the left. (the pile in the background is my neighbors)


And I really enjoy their poor attempt at "hiding" the pile of wood in the reeds of the marsh. Big thumbs up there.




And just a few more pictures of the hill/marsh behind my house





No comments:

Post a Comment