Friday, March 5, 2010

Great Horned Owls

The great horned owls are out and about again in the neighborhood. They are making quite a lot of noise hooting. There are definitely 2 of them in the area behind my house, and both maybe now be in my backyard. I was just outside and say 1 fly to a branch at the very back of my yard. Then it seemed it flew down to one of the neighbors yards. But now that I am back inside i am surprised to hear both calling quite clearly and almost just as loud as when i was outside which makes me think they have both moved to perches in my yard. I love to hear their calls. I just wish i had the capability of recording their calls and getting pictures of them.

I cant determine if its a male and a female or two males or two females. I dont have enough experience with them to differentiate their calls between the sexes.

If it is a male and female then i guess they might be just pair calling. Otherwise i cant imagine how any of the owls can hunt successfully while hooting, wouldn't any prey hear it and take cover?

No comments:

Post a Comment